Am I a broken record yet about how originality is key when writing a dating profile? “Alyssa, we get it, you don’t want me to say ‘I love wine and travel’ — but I DO love wine and travel! Shouldn’t I say so?”
I maintain that you shouldn’t — and I’ve got some actual science to back me up.
Tilburg University in the Netherlands conducted a study testing people’s responses to dating app bios and short answers.
Without seeing any photos, participants in the study read real dating app profile answers. They were asked to rate profiles based on these questions:
- “This profile text seems original to me”
- “I would like to go on a date with this person”
- “I think this person is intelligent”
- “I think this person is funny”
- “I think this person is odd/peculiar”
- “I think this person is good-looking”
- “I think this person is kind”
- “I could fall for this person.”
According to this Forbes article profiling the study:
- Higher originality was associated with higher intelligence
- Higher originality was associated with higher romantic intention (i.e., “How likely would you be to date this person?”)
- Higher originality was associated with an increased belief in physical attraction
- Higher originality was associated with a higher humor perception
- Higher originality was associated with lower perceptions of oddness/peculiarity
Isn’t that incredible? Participants thought that people with more original answers were more attractive, even though there were no photos attached. Not to mention they believe people with more original answers were more intelligent, more dateable, and “less weird.”
So the next time someone tells me, “I don’t want to talk about that hobby of mine in my profile, I’ll sound too weird!” — I’ll be referring them right back to this research! Not only does that “weird” interest of yours make you more interesting to people, it will literally make you more attractive 😉
How to Write a Dating Profile that’s Original
But now the hard part: how to write a dating profile that’s as original as the top-rated ones from the study!
You’re in luck — the SMP Team just released a new Hinge and Bumble Prompt How-To Guide last week, and it’ll walk you step-by-step through creating a profile that’s utterly original. The best part? It’s only $7.
Grab it now!